Followers

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Distinguishing ego from true self

http://www.socresonline.org.uk/10/1/barbiani/kali.jpg

Ramakrishna:
The ego is like a stick that seems to divide the water in two. It makes you feel that you are one and I am another. When the ego disappears in samadhi one realizes Brahman as one's own inner consciousness.
(p. 284)
Ramakrishna:
I and mine indicate ignorance. Without ignorance one cannot have such a feeling as "I am the doer; these are my wife, children and possessions."
Keshab:
Sir, if one gave up the I, nothing whatsoever would remain.
Ramakrishna:
I am not asking you to give up all of the I. You should give up only the "unripe I." The "unripe I" makes one feel: "I am the doer. These are my wife and children. I am a teacher." Renounce this "unripe I" and keep the "ripe I" which will make you feel that you are God's servant, His devotee, and that God is the Doer and you are His instrument.
(pp. 266-267)
From Appenidix B on Tantra:
In every jiva-centre there are elements of both individuality and infinitude, phenomenality and reality.
(p. 575)
Ramakrishna:
Everyone can attain Knowledge. There are two entities: jivatma, the individual soul, and Paramatma, the Supreme Soul. Through prayer all individual souls can be united to the Supreme Soul.
(p. 247)

0 comments:

Post a Comment